Sunday, March 14, 2010

Invitation by SPS Chapter Chair: Lenten Fast

Dear Friends,
A couple weeks ago, after polishing off a Red Velvet Cake, I got the idea to fast. I must admit this idea of fasting was purely to help my physical state since I wanted to lose weight before heading on vacation. But then God spoke to me loud and clear. . . fast to cleanse your spiritual state and become dependent on Me. My husband recommended the Daniel Fast. We both decided to follow this fast for the three weeks leading up to Easter.

I’m scared. I’ve never fasted before. But the more my anxiety builds, the more I realize I need God to take over my life. Wow. ..no coffee, cheese or wine? Only God can help me survive that! I discovered Jim Wallis, founder of Sojourners, is also fasting over Lent. One of his statements hit home… “There are times when we come to the end of our own resources and must throw ourselves on God -- which is really always our true spiritual state, despite the illusions of our own self-sufficiency. And it is the very turning away from our own devices, opinions, and strength -- and turning to God once again -- that is the best way back to finding ourselves, our voices, and our missions. That is my prayer for us all this Lent.” (From Sojourner’s Blog)

During this fast, I plan to focus specifically on how God wants to use me to aid children and women trapped in poverty and the human trafficking industry. I’m praying for:

• Specific direction on how I can live out the challenge in Gary Haugen’s book, Just Courage. How do I leave my safe world and be brave for God?
• Our Human Trafficking conference in June.
• Children and women in our Prasath Ballang ADP.

Would you join me in this adventure from March 15 – April 4? Pray about it this week and see if God is challenging you to join me in my fast. If you are interested in the Daniel Fast, check out the following site: http://www.daniel-fast.com/about.html

This is between you and God. But for those of you who fast, let’s use our blog to share how God is working in our lives. I’m expecting miracles!

Blessings - Brenda

2 comments:

  1. I am joining you Brenda! Day three of my coffee fast...and God confirmed to me last night that what I chose to fast for was the right choice. I wanted to fast from sugar too, but, I confess I didn't even make it one day! I am going to miss my coffee, on vacation next week! Thank you Brenda for sharing your heart and encouraging us to take part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed this in time to join the entire fast. but I will join with you in prayer since your prayers are the same as my heart as well. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete